Posted by : kriss | April 3, 2014
The A to Z-s of surviving … Cooking for survival, just a few tips!
Just because your running from zombies or trying not to succumb to scurvy doesn’t mean you have to not eat a nice meal! But you better have squared away some items in your bug-out bag and the booby-trapped closet the disaster happens so you can be one of the surviving 2% in the world. Don’t laugh, it could happen! It doesn’t have to be the walking dead, it could be a flu that ends up killing off everyone! Have you ever thought of what would happen if there were no one to run nuclear power or water treatment, or the sanitation services? Even if there are no zombies all the things we see in these shows will happen. In the show Survivors it was a pandemic. But what happens afterwards is important, and one of them was food. Things like this are power, wealth and one thing you will need to survive.
Top five food which will survive and have some … nutritious value, OK one of them is just for pleasure!
- Twinkies (big surprise, huh? Just ask Tallahassee. This is pleasure and mental health wise a good thing to find… though I think we should also include 112 oz. can of Chocolate pudding…
- Processed Cheese (has to include 52% real cheese so there is nutrition in that can! If it has product in the title it doesn’t but processed cheese… yep! And it lasts.
- Spam – which if you can make sure to keep cornmeal in a ziplock or airtight container you can make cornbread and fried spam over an open flame. You can even use some dried milk and powdered eggs if you happened to pack some of those in your bug out bag! In Alaska Spam is a required to be in your cupboard, right next to the Tang and Pilot Bread.
- Jell-O – any woman will tell you how wonderful gelatin is for hair and nails. It is consuming a bunch of different animal parts but heck, it will help in a pinch and can also be added to hot water or hot tea. Again calories and blood sugar! Jell-O is not just for jiggling In after the end of the world! Also, and this is REALLY imporatant, High in anti-inflammatory amino acids like glycine and proline, this will be a plus after hiking and making your body doing things it is not used to doing after you have been sitting in front of the TV playing survival horror games. As I mentioned above, gelatin helps your nails and hair grow fast and strong, promotes restful sleep, improves memory and learning and even has antitumor properties! Who cares if it comes from which comes from hides and bones of animals right?And if that Spam sandwich upsets your stomach? The gelatinous nature helps soothe the intestinal tract while assisting digestion.
- Nondairy Creamer. This can not only increase your calorie intake but it also can help you thicken up any soup you are making out. It also can help you when you need to cause a distraction with the horde so you can get away from the farm and even take a few of them out if they are of the bloated variety, just check out Myth Busters.
Now how can you use all this? Well use your head! Make sure you pack a book on edible plants, roots and mushrooms so you can recognize the safe ones when you are on the run. Perhaps even pack some seeds for the heartier ones to plant if you can get settled somewhere. Make sure you have iodine tablets to sanitize drinking water and you may want to pack up some protein powder and vitamins. Keep yourself healthy guys, the nondairy creamer may help that calorie content and cause some damage if you create it right, but it won’t keep you healthy!
Great Country Fried Spam & Gravy
This is so easy it is a joke.
Slice up the spam, dip it in slat and pepper flavored flour and fry it up in a pan with hot oil, whatever oil you can find. Or if you still have butter, do it in butter. Add a tad of water to the pan with 3-4 TBSP of flour to make a quick rue. The non-dairy creamer that you have not used on the zombies that overwhelmed you at the last camp ground can be created into a cream base with 2 1/2 cups of water and heat it on medium heat. By cooking it in the same pan it add even more flavor.
Serve up, because you may not get a chance to eat hot food since I think that is a horde over the hill. Quick, dump dirt on that fire and chow down … and run!
Tomorrow? D? What could I possibly discuss with D? Come back tomorrow and find out!
, Country Fried
, Non-Dairy Creamer